Re: Spitfires with camber compensators

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfires with camber compensators
From: "Tedd Ross Pitts" <ross@fnsg.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 07:17:55 -0500
Well, I think I'll be able to give an honest opinion on the handling
between the later 1500 handling and the early Spit with the camber
compensator, as I'll own one of each once I install the comp. on
my '63.  I've definitely decided to go that route.  Thanks for all the

On 15 Dec 2000, at 10:30, Herald948@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/15/2000 4:14:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, ross@fnsg.com
> writes:
>
> > Now that your spit is camber compensated, how does it drive?  I'm
> >  debating updating the rear suspension v. the camber compensated
> >  and I'd like any input anyone has ...
>
> Joe Curry, are you listening? :-)
>
> This question has become one on the level with the Ford v. Chevy (or MoPar)
> debate. The main advantage of the camber compensator is that it is a single,
> bolt-on piece that will do wonders for an early (READ: non-swing-spring)
> Spitifre or GT6 (or even Herald/Vitesse). It literally does keep the rear
> wheels from tucking under. Some, including Kas Kastner himself (who
> incidentally helped design the compensator), feel it is even better than the
> swing-spring.
>
> And that's where the debate comes in. The later Spitfires, with swing-spring
> AND fatter front sway bar (needed to compensate for increased oversteer
> resulting from the swing-spring) arguably handle much better than the early
> cars without compensators. In fairness, I have never seen an honest
> comparison with the same vehicle equipped one way and then the other, and
> it's not fair to compare the relatively light-weight '63 on bias-ply Dunlop
> Gold Seals on 3.5" rims with the much heavier, say, '80 Spitfire on 5" wheels
> and 155SR13 or better radials and a wider rear track!
>
> To add the swing-spring setup, one does also need that fatter front sway bar,
> and one needs to plug two then-unused stud holes on the top of the
> differential. IF you figure on all-new parts either way, the swing-spring
> conversion is probably at least twice as expensive. Note also that the camber
> compensator really is NOT necessary on a swing-spring-equipped car (IMHO).
>
> I've driven and autocrossed lots of Spitfires -- early and late -- including
> early cars with and without compensators. But I've never done such driving
> one right after another, so I'm not sure I can honestly say which is "better"!
>
> --Andy Mace

Tedd Ross Pitts
73 Spitfire FM1200U (LHD)
63 Spitfire FC14380L (LHD)