GT6 Engine in a Herald - UK Listers

To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 Engine in a Herald - UK Listers
From: "Linkens, Andy" <alinkens@nuera.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:16:50 -0000
Cc: ajester@kscable.com
Hi Chad,
Yes! I've been running a 2L modified Herald 13/60 for the last 8 years..
You may have a problem with the older 948 chassis ... but in terms of the
13/60 here's what I found.
It's pretty OK to swap a GT6 or Vitesse 2L engine in but you'll need to
upgrade the gearbox, differential and best to upgrade all the brakes to a 2L
setup (GT6 or Vitesse) because of the extra power.
Also you'll need Vitesse springs at the front due to extra engine weight.
There's no hacking of the frame at all.
 - you'll need a bigger radiator (Vitesse) which sits very close to the
front of the bonnet due to the extra engine length.
I've run this setup for a long time and have found the following:
- uprated springs and dampers don't improve things for a road car - in my
opinion - others may disagree?!
- big wheels (5.5J steel) seem to impair handling - in my opinion - others
may disagree?!
- you may want to change the internals of the speedo - the gearbox and diff
ratios mean that the speedo can read quite a lot higher than it should.
- also, a more recent thing that I've come across is that the gearing on the
steering rack is different for the Herald and the Vitesse and I find that
with the Herald rack the steering is quite heavy (also due to large wheels I
think).
Other than that it's great fun,
hope that helps
Andy
13/60 Herald with 2LMkII Vitesse mechanicals