RE: Stag experiences

To: "'Paul Mitchell'" <paul-m@mweb.co.za>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stag experiences
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:59:40 -0500
About 10 years ago I helped a buddy try to resurrect a Stag with a bad
motor.  ISTR the internal water pump's jackshaft and gears had gotten into a
fight and reduced each other to a fine metallic slush.  We couldn't get the
heads off (!!!) and the crankbearings were toast anyway...
So he bought a 'long block' from some folks in the UK.  We installed it
(What a bear) and it ran OK for about 500 miles, till the waterpump
jackshaft and gears ( these are new, mind you) were again reduced to a
silvery paste,  which destroyed the crankbearings...  Repeat as required...
These cars would seem to be excellent candidates for engine
transplantation..
YMMV,
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967

Paul wrote........
I am currently the owner of a TR6, but am contemplating the purchase of
a Stag as a second car (also how to break the idea of a second Triumph
to my wife!). What are the list's ownership experiences as far as Stags
are concerned? According to the VTR buyer's guide, the engine can be a
problem. What else?

Paul