Need Help on a GM engine - Non-LBC

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Need Help on a GM engine - Non-LBC
From: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:15:55 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sorry for the non-LBC content.  I am in need of help on a GM 2.0 litre OHC
engine out of a 1991 Pontiac Sunbird, Mike in California are you listening??

I have been given the chore of reassembling a blown head gasket job that
someone else started and abandoned.  Problem is how do I set the timing
belt??  On the overhead cam it says to align the marks on the Cam sprocket,
but mentions nothing of the Crank sprocket.  Unlike the OHV variety that I
am used to.  There is no mark to line up on.  The mark  the Cam sprocket
lines up with is at the 12 O'clock position and I can find no mark at all on
the crank sprocket.  It seems like they assumed it would not be moved (they
haven't met my brother)

The Haynes manual says to line them up with the marks on the sprocket, am I
missing something.

So How do I make sure the Crank is in the proper position?????

I am very tired of working on this and would appreciate any and ALL help.

Patrick Bowen
Freezing his tush off in OHIO fixing someone elses car, and NOT getting paid
for it.