Re: * TR3 becomes TR3A? *

Subject: Re: * TR3 becomes TR3A? *
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 16:51:30 -0800
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Wayne :

First, I'd like to point out that both of the cars you are talking about
are TR3As.  The (unofficial) change from TR3 to TR3A occurred in 1957,
with TS22014.

My personal preference would be to keep the 58 tub intact and mount it
on your frame.  I believe you can keep your doors, hood, trunk, front
apron, etc., although you'll have to add shims under the hood and trunk
hinges to make up for the missing platforms.  (Another alternative would
be to create and weld in some platforms.)

Note that the gas tank, tonneau cover, convertible top, and carpet set
will be different for the earlier tub.  You might want to move the studs
so you can use the later tonneau cover, AFAIK the correct ones are not
currently available. (TRF is working on this, but I haven't heard an
ETA.)

IMO the easy way to deal with the windshield is to get some early
stanchions.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO