RE: TR3 (I think) Seat Springs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 (I think) Seat Springs
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 06:50:42 -0800 (PST)
Mark,

Very Early TR-4s had bucket seats with springs very similar to
TR-3s.

Maybe some other listers can help me with the identification as
I'm not 100% sure of what I'm about to type:  I think TR-3 seat
rails were held to the seat pans with 4 studs / holes on each
rail.  I know TR-4s only had two studs on each rail.

My failing memory tells me that the TR-3 pans and springs were
flat across the bottom.  That could be wrong though.

I know that my TR-4 ones had a bumped out section on the bottom
. . . so that the bottom of the pan hung down between the rails
and there is almost no clearance between the bottom of the pan
and the carpet.

Back when the new seat springs were first introduced several
years ago. . . I rushed out and bought a set.  Unfortunately,
true to my nature, I bought the things then waited a long time
to install them.  They turned out to be VERY different.  Many
fewer springs that are MUCH stiffer.

I went ahead and had them installed with a new seat kit. . . and
instructed the upholstry guy to compress the springs as much as
was humanly possible.

I still ended up with seat springs that were probably 8 inches
tall.  I tried stacking bags of sand on them for a winter to
simulate a really big guy breaking them in.   . . .. No luck.

When I sit in them 4,  my eyes are right above the top of the
windshield frame.  It's pretty funny looking.

It is too bad, cause I like the bucket seats. . . but I've had
them "redone" for many years now, but am soured by the final
result and they are sitting up on the shelf.

If your spring are in decent shape,  I might be willing to try
and work a trade with you.

I have a set of TR4A seats. . .complete.  I used them for a few
years through high school, but they are in rough shape now and
would need to be re-done.

Drop Me an E-mail, we can trade digital pictures and see what
comes out.

Scott Tilton
Richmond / Leesburg Virginia