Re: stone chip in windshield: repairable?

To: frank@zk3.dec.com
Subject: Re: stone chip in windshield: repairable?
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:02:32 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/27/00 9:55:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
frank@zk3.dec.com writes:

<< Subject says it all.  Do I have to spring for a new windshield,
 or can a damaged one be saved?  It's not a very big chip, and
 there aren't any cracks radiating from it (yet).

Doug:

Probably not. Most windshield repair shops (and others presumably) have a
process that pulls the air out of the crack/break/recess and injects a clear
liquid that fills in and seals. I had it done several years ago and it worked
and held. I believe at the time, the people said it should be done before the
damage gets bigger than about a quarter (coin).
Call around. Unless problems developed with the process of which I am
unaware, I think it's a good fix short of getting a whole new windshield.
Anybody else on the list have this done?

Jim
65 4A>>