The TR6 and Factory Air

To: "Triumph Digest List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The TR6 and Factory Air
From: "David Rogers" <dnja.rogers@bigpond.com.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 18:58:06 +1100
Friends,
    If I offended anyone with my somewhat satirical remark about creature
comforts and air conditioning in the TR6, then I most humbly apologise. From
the remarks my little bit generated, I obviously got a few members off side
and that was never my intention. I guess it comes down to terminology and
definitions, which seemed to have changed over the years. This is perhaps
yet another example of Australians and Americans being "separated by a
common language"!!! At least our admiration for the Triumph marque isn't
affected.
    In my youth (the 50s and 60s), the term "factory air conditioning" was
generally accepted to mean it was fitted on the production line to
distinguish it
from either "after market" or "factory-approved" kits. I spent a number of
years in the US and as far as I can recall, the terminology had a similar
meaning. This was the basis on which I commented in the original post, ie,
that to the best of my knowledge (backed up by the plethora of publications
on the TR2-6) the TR6 was not fitted with air conditioning on the line in
Coventry. I was aware that Standard Triumph had given its blessing -so to
speak- on the fitment of such systems by dealers in the US prior to delivery
and that this was the case, especially in CA and FL. If I am wrong, Jonmac
will take me to task and I will rightly be humbled again.
    So a light-hearted comment, spoken in what I took to be a common tongue
went awry! I shall go back to my den and forbid myself driving my TR for a
week as punishment. Pity, it's a beautiful sky clear day with the
temperature hovering about the 75 to 80 mark. Come and try it: it's only a
14 hour ride south-west of LA and your dollar goes much further than mine
does in the US (US$1=AUS$1.77).
Cheers,

Dave Rogers
Canberra, Australia