Re: Dashpot Oil Choice

Subject: Re: Dashpot Oil Choice
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 00:11:33 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Brad :

I've also experimented with different weight oil in the dashpots of my
TR3A, and I agree with Carl that lighter is not better.  I settled on
straight 40 weight motor oil, which works fine in the coldest temps I
ever drive in (20F) and the warmest (110F).  The benefit of the heavier
oil seems more pronounced in cooler weather, so I think multi-weight oil
is counter-productive.  However, 20W50 is the only multi-weight I tried,
it's a bit too thin.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver