TR7 BFH#41 - Zenith carb mixture

To: "INTERNET:Eganb@aol.com" <Eganb@aol.com>
Subject: TR7 BFH#41 - Zenith carb mixture
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 09:53:19 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "[unknown]" <british-cars@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Eganb@aol.com

>The trick was to use an unlit portable propane torch to force propane down

>the carburettor throats.  If the rpm went up, the carb was lean, if it
went
>down, rich.  What you were shooting for was a brief increase of 25-50 rpm.

>Can anyone confirm this as a poor man's approach to adjusting mixture, and

>that it won't lead to blowing up the car?  And how about an explanation of

>the logic?
>
>In my VW days I would simply look at the color of the plugs -- black was
>rich, white was lean, and gray was just about right.  Doesn't that still
give
>you a general idea of what's going on?

In the old days close was good enough.  With a modern car required to meet
certain emissions standards, I am afraid that will not be good enough.  But
it will get you by until you can have them set properly.

Brace youself for the inevitable "Are you crazy!" comments about propane.
If you set the torch to a very low setting there is no hazard as the
unburnt gas will be swept away with the breeze.   I have used the propane
method to look for leaks with good effect but I don't know how to "read"
the response and to how much propane.  Perhaps a better/easier way is to
use a small screwdriver to ever-so-slightly raise the piston of each
carburettor and watch for RPM rises/drops.

However, you still ought to get them set to a CO meter before too long.

Dave