Re: TR6 wire wheels

To: <canada@voyageronline.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 wire wheels
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:59:43 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Ian Macleod wrote:

- --any guesses as to whether Kastner was writing about modern
72-spoke wheels
or whatever was available in 1968?
Not having seen what Kas Kastner wrote, I wouldn't know. I suspect he
refers to the 1968 equipment.

- --are wires THAT much heavier than alloys or original steel wheels?
A bit but I greatly doubt you'd notice it.

- --are wires unsafe if i "push it"?
Yes - providing the tension on the spokes is equal. In the 1960's when
Mk 2 Jaguar 3.8 saloons appeared in International Saloon Car races in
Europe, they all wore the normal factory fitted wire wheel option, the
only proviso being the chrome plated versions were banned for racing
as the plating process was alleged to make the spokes brittle. Peter
Lindner, Jaguar's importer for Germany campaigned his 3.8 saloon with
considerable success and that car always sported painted (not
plated)Dunlop wires

- --the big three offer Dayton & Dunlop wires; is there a quality
difference?
Never seen Dayton so can't offer an opinion. If I was going for wires
myself I wouldn't have any other apart from Dunlop or Borrani - but
Borranis look good only on Ferraris.

Jonmac