Re: Mystery Bolt

To: <Ct54531@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mystery Bolt
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:52:30 -0600
From: Ct54531@aol.com <Ct54531@aol.com>

>In putting the carpeting into the 65 4A, I came across a bolt in the
bulkhead
>that has no apparent purpose and of which I have no recollection of seeing
>before. It is on the bulkhead, the head of the bolt on the inside in a
direct
>straight line forward from the accelerator pedal. It is (presently)
attached
>to nothing and I don't recall unattaching anything from it (though that
>doesn't mean I didn't. I've been working this resto for about 2 1/2 years
>now. The bolt protrudes into the bulkhead and into the engine compartment
>through a welded nut. It sits under the steering column in a recess in the
>bulkhead the bottom of which is roughly parallel to -- and right next to --
>the top of the AC fuel pump.
>Anybody know  what this bolt was/is for?

This is the stop for the accelerator pedal.  You are supposed to adjust this
to give full-throttle on the carbs when the pedal hits the head of the bolt.

How I know this:  After I picked up my TR4 in San Antonio last August, I
drove directly to Fisher Jones' place in Comfort, Texas.  While checking
over the car, Fisher decided that an under-hood line was inadequately
secured.  He dug out of his supply an insulated cable clip and intended to
fasten it to this bolt's protrusion with a nut.  The fine threads were still
covered with paint, so he decided to take it out.  I went into the driver
footbox to remove it.  Because of the proximity of the pedal, I had to use
an open-end wrench.  The day was over 100 degrees and the humidity was very
high.  The several minutes I spent removing the bolt, packed into the
footbox in the sun, seemed like an hour.  When it finally came out, Fisher
gave it a quick cleanup.  I found the replacement of the bolt to be much
more enjoyable than its removal.  When the bolt was back in, I pushed the
pedal up to the bolt whilst Fisher confirmed that the throttles were
completely open.  Fisher finished the installation of the clamp and this
north-woods kid sought some shade and water.

Such a stop is a good idea.  When you are in the excitement of an autocross
and plant your foot into power, it's nice to know that the force of your
exuberance is being taken by a solid bolt, and not by your throttle cable.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.