Possible TR6 frame on my TR4A

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Possible TR6 frame on my TR4A
From: "David Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 17:19:24 -0400
List,
Rick Taylor stopped by this afternoon to take a look at my car.
After looking at the car he thinks I might have a TR6 frame under my TR4A
body. The front cross member which mounts the steering rack has a plate with
"D-3" stamped on it which may mean something. The radiator is about 1-1/2"
back from it's mounting holes. The engine is mounted in the frame so the end
of the long bolt on the front of the crankshaft is directly over the
steering rack. This will make the use of the original fan impossible. The
sheetmetal "hump" is also missing from the back of the frame over the
drivshaft.
I am not interested in building a show car or making it historically
correct. Does anybody have any information on the significance of the D-3
stamped on my frame?
I won't be able to use a standard fan but I can mount a electric fan in
front of the radiator which I have no problem with. Does anyone know of any
other problems I might have?

To summarize here is where I am with this.
On the plus side..
1. I have a excellent, very solid frame under my car which has been cleaned
and painted.
2. All the suspension is either new or rebuilt.
3. All the brake cylinders/calipers are rebuild or new.
4. A TR6 frame may have structual improvements over the TR4A
   frame which is a good thing.
5. I could care less about the originality of my car. I just
   want it safe and (reasonably) reliable.

On the minus side...
1. There is a ninty per cent chance I have a TR6 frame which is not correct
for my car.
2. I can't use the normal fan due to clearance problems.
3. Until confirmed otherwise, I may run into other incompatibility issues.

Questions, Comments?
Dave Connitt
66 TR4A (body) CTC 71084L