Re: TR Head Modification for "Run On"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR Head Modification for "Run On"
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:10:40 -0500
>TR Head Modification for "Run On"
>
>I understand that there is a modification that can be done to a TR3-4 (Others
>?) cylinder head.
>
>Between the Intake and Exhaust ports there is a point in the casting of the
>head that heats up to circulate the air/fuel mixture (?). It heats up, which
>is intended, but too much for using unleaded fuel.
>
>I'm told that if we round this pointed tip to a 3/8" dia it does not get as
>hot and will help stop the "Dieseling" of the TR when it "stops".
>
>It is a "Old MG" trick... I'm told.

I don't know about the intentional part, but ... here is what I have
heard said: the well-defined edges on the underside of the cylinder
head, in and around the combustion chamber, act as hot spots - they
are right in the thick of things during ignition, and since they are
forming a sort of point, there isn't as much metal behind them to
draw heat away (as on a flat surface, for example).  These
edges/points are sometimes hot enough to cause ignition of the
compressed air/fuel mixture, so even when the engine is turned off,
run-on can occur - it's almost as if the plugs were still firing.

Any practiced automotive machine shop ought to be able to round these
edges a bit - one with experience in TRs might know better just where
to start.

Does this make any sense?  (hope it does!)

Dan
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L, now with an O!  Undergoing frame-off restoration
begun 9/99.  Currently awaiting warm weather and funds.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, with an O.  In need of a comprehensive
restoration (again); will probably become a Spit6 or a Spit8.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!