Re: Non Original Speedos and Tachs - update

To: sdtilton@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Non Original Speedos and Tachs - update
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:19:58 EDT
Scott,

A couple of items I forgot to include in my previous post:

In addition to the 5" tach and speedo, Autometer makes two sizes of gauges
for the smaller units - 2 5/8" and 2 1/16".  The 2 1/16" units fit the TR6
dash perfectly. The 5" tach and speedo "almost" fit. If the backs of the
bezels were flat (as the older ones that I have in my V8 were), they would
fit, but they have a bevel which prevents them from seating properly. To
solve this, I cut rings out of a piece of 1/4" thick wood I bought at Lowes.
I painted the rings flat black to match the bezels, and dropped them into the
openings for the gauges. The rings are almost invisible when the gauges are
installed. If I don't point them out, no one notices.

One very important thing I left out -- the warning lights!  Both the tach and
the speedo in a TR6 have two warning lights. Naturally, the Autometer gauges
don't have these warning lights, so they will have to be installed elsewhere
on the dash. It's not a big problem, but you will have to buy new light
assemblies, as the bulb holders that fit into the instruments don't lend
themselves very well to an in-dash installation. Wiring is not a problem,
just wire the new ones the same as the old ones, but you'll need to add
ground wires. The stock warning lamps used the instrument bodies for
grounding (those that were grounded -- not all of the lamps have a ground
connection, e.g., the alternator warning lamp and the turn signal indicator).

I don't have a photo of the dash in my stock TR6, but you can find a photo of
the V8 dash at:

http://members.aol.com/danmas/gauges.htm

I'll try to take a photo of the stock dash later if you want.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm