Wheel studs

To: "'herald1200@home.com'" <herald1200@home.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheel studs
From: "Allen, Warren" <Warren.Allen@infores.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:37:18 -0500
Scott,

I haven't seen any answers to your question, so I'll supply an unsure one.
I think it is a safety concern that you should change your studs to the
longer ones with disc wheels. My TR3 had wire wheels at one time, but has
had disc wheels the whole time I've owned it (19 years), and I've driven it
with no thought of a potential problem.  I did have a front stud snap off
one time, years ago, while turning a corner. I don't know whether it was due
to being too short, age, or something else.  But it was only one, and I
replaced it without mishap.  For some reason, last summer I suddenly
realized that I should replace my studs with longer ones.  In the last two
weeks, as a part of repacking front wheel bearings, I did just that.  The
old ones were so short that they did not poke through the end of the lugs,
and the new ones do poke through.  (I replaced the rears several years ago
as part of a rear axle change.)

So, to end this rambling, I would recommend that you change them, but I
don't know how vital it is from a safety concern.

Warren Allen