Re: POR15 metal ready

To: <Lftlesl@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: POR15 metal ready
From: "Adrian" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 01:04:25 +0100
POR 15 metal ready fluid is an acid that will eat away the rust (and the
steel if you leave it long enough). It is neutralised with water oddly
enough. When neutralised it leaves a Zinc Phosphate coating.

I have used it and it does work. How long it lasts, time will tell. You must
follow the instructions closely. I left a standard type paint brush in the
fluid overnight and found a bunch of bristles and a handle next morning, no
sign of the metal band what so ever.

One item that gave me a suprise was a very rusty chrome headlamp retaining
ring which I soaked for a number of hours. When I removed it I had what I
can only describe as visually a new ring. The chrome was unaffected. For
twelve months the trim ring has laid around my workshop without reformation
of rust.
Another use I found was the rejunvenation of bolts and set screws. After
treatment they have a dull zinc coating that is rust proof. I have found
that a semi bright finish can be achieved with the use of a hand wire brush.
It is a remarkable product. I have still to find other applications and uses
in addition to preparation for  painting.

Regards,
Adrian
TR4A
CT64306 O