Re: OD Wiring Hole In Gearbox Cover?

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>, TR Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OD Wiring Hole In Gearbox Cover?
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 17:26:22 -0400
Dave, Don,

Dan Masters and I talked a few years ago, before he wrote his book,
about modifications to the TR6 harness and I adopted several of his
ideas .  Additionally I've added one which I'm not sure is in the book.

The power for the OD relay taps off the green wire that also feeds the
brake reverse lamp circuit.  If you think about it, that's a 12 volt
line fed from a large fuse that goes down to the reverse lamp switch on
the tranny.  Some previous owner of my car had the misfortune of this
hot lead coming off and grounding out because the wires were replaced,
starting behind the heater box area, when I bought the car.  Upon
inspection during restoration, I discovered that the harness was also
burnt internally all the way back to a major connection point located
over the driver's feet.  Must have been exciting!

Anyway, I've modified this circuit further and have installed an inline
fuse holder on this line and placed it inside the car, just before the
hole in the tranny cover.  Both the reverse lamps and the J solonoid are
fed from the load side of this fuse.  The trim panel hides the
fuseholder.

As Dave states, Don, no relay is needed.

There will be no more fried harnesses in my car!

Gary
Digest  '75 TR6
Severn, MD
President, TRiumphs Around the Chesapeake

www.toad.net/~gklein/TRAC/

-----------
Message text written by "Don Clark"
>>This weekend I am working on installing an overdrive in my 72 TR6. The
car
>>has never had an overdrive in it and I am installing J type OD with
the J
>>type OD wiring.
>>
>>I'm wondering where I should drill the hole in my gearbox cover for
the
>>overdrive wiring?
>>Also, the schematic shows that there is no relay for this overdrive.
I'm