Re: TR6 door check strap spring

To: "ian.viles" <ian.viles@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 door check strap spring
From: bob <rmf3860@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 20:18:40 -0400
Cc: triumphs list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Ian:

I just went through this repair on my '75 TR6 a few months ago. I'll
share what I did.

The rivet is not the kind that's installed with a a pop rivet gun. It
requires a special tool with special inserts to accommodate this
particular size rivet. However, you may know someone with access to such
a tool.  The actual rivet is available at TRF. The old one can be
"easily" drilled out with an appropriate sized hardened drill bit.
You'll have to hold the oposite side that you're not drilling with a
pair of pliers to prevent the rivet from spinning.

Removal of the old check strap requires that you remove the carpeted
kick panel. Access is good and removal is easy. There's also another
component  called a "spring guide" which is screwed on the front of the
"A" post and through which the blade of the check strap goes through.

As an alternative to the original rivet, I used what I believe are
called "T" nuts. They're made of aluminum. One part is a threaded tube
and the corresponding part is a threaded rod. They come in various sizes
including one that fits the diameter of the hole common to the check
strap and door hinge, very well. They're available at Lowe's or Home
Depot or most real hardware stores. They cost a few cents each. I
recommend a dab of thread lock. Mine work beautifully. I hope yours do
as well.

Bob
Fredericksburg, Va
75 TR6