Berkeley at auction again Thursday.

To: <lotus-cars@yahoogroups.com>, <lotuseuropa@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Berkeley at auction again Thursday.
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 19:16:44 -0500
Cc: <british-cars@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
OK, if you don't care about teeny little cars that could be collectors'
items or D-Modified candidates, hit "delete" now.

I while back I spammed the list about a Berkeley which was slated for a
police auction on short notice.  I could not find out much about it, then it
was withdrawn from the auction.  Now, it is back, slated for auction
tomorrow.  I managed to use my City ID to get the attendants at the impound
lot to let me in to see it.

It is indeed a 1958 Berkeley Se328.  Data plate is still there with body and
engine numbers.

A different 1958 Berkeley Se328 is shown at this page:

http://coldplugs.homestead.com/AlfaToBerkeley.html

The picture of the front end is pretty much the way this one is now:  The
motorcycle engine/transmission is missing-in-action, but the differential
and sprocket therefor are still there.  Fitting of either the original type
of engine or other medium-size motorcycle package looks fairly easy.  More
exotic stuff like a Mini front subframe could be done.  DM freaks could run
it FWD or make it rear-drive instead, but it is going to need lots of
hardware to get it up to the 1,000-pound minimum weight for the class.

The suspension seems complete.  The car rolls and steers.

The fiberglass body seems straight and unmolested.  It's largely
unencumbered by paint, allowing one to see that the body has apparently not
been smashed and repaired.  The front engine cover (a fiberglass piece about
two feet square) seems to be missing.  Bumpers are missing.  The rear
"trunk" panel that goes on the deck behind the cockpit is there.  The
windshield frame is there, but the (flat) glass is broken.  There are no
seats in evidence.  There are no side-curtains or top there, either.  I have
no idea if there are more parts stored elsewhere.  The only way to find out
is to go to the auction.

For those that don't understand the scale of these cars, one could put this
in the back of a pickup with the tailgate open.  Measures about 4 feet by
nine.

This car could be ideal for Berkeley restorers who have parts and perhaps a
wrecked car.

So, is it worth taking most of the day off work to attend the daytime
auction tomorrow?

Anybody have any desire to have me bid on it for them?  I can hold it here
(inside, it sure wouldn't take up much shop space)at my place in Saint Paul
Minnesota for a nominal fee.

Email me or call:

651-224-3105
651-266-6247
651-398-6616

or it's going who-knows-where after the police auction at noon CDT Thursday.

Daughter Amanda has presented us with a second grandchild.  Sirena Mae
Stremski
arrived on the first day of Spring 2001, weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces.