Re: Ball joint/tie rod boots

To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ball joint/tie rod boots
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 05:15:23 EDT
Jim,
After struggling a bit with TRF's TR steering rack boots I did get them to
work well - I thought it would be an easy job but trying to keep everything
well lubed (rack, bushing, ball-joints, etc) while keeping the boot clamping
areas dry (so they wouldn't slip around) was the most difficult - a big
greasy mess for a while. Then getting boots clamped in correct location and
'straight on' was critical to having them not crunch up unevenly when moving
rack 'end to end'. The rubber seems heavy duty - hopefully they will last.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

>>Subject: Ball joint/tie rod boots
Talking with a colleague who has a Datsun 2000 - apparently for them it's
easy to find some kind of non-instantly-deteriorating (polyurethane?) boot
for tie rod ends and ball joints.
Anyone know if these are available for our LBCs? Rumours abound about the
short life span of the boots we get now; I would like to circumvent having
to replace anytime soon.
TIA,
Jim<<