RE: Stainless Steel Exhaust

To: <Harrymague@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Stainless Steel Exhaust
From: "Don Clark" <d@seanet.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 13:42:46 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Harry,

I had a similar experience with leaky pipes on my TR6. I took care of most
of it by doing 2 things.

First, I used an exhaust pipe stretcher/straightener to ensure that the
pipes would fit as tightly as possible.

Second, I used 'Full Circle' clamps that I got from APT to clamp the pipes
together. It took 2 clamps per joint to seal it up pretty good. I have
removed and reinstalled the exhaust several times since first installing it
and haven't had any problems with crushed exhaust pipes.

You can find the clamps at:
http://www.aptfast.com/APT_Parts/Other_Parts/o_Exhaust_Headers_Sustems.htm

There's a picture of them here:
http://www.aptfast.com/Images_Parts/Exhaust/A_Exhaust/Full_Circle_Clamps.jpg

I have heard of a sealant that you can use where the exhaust pipes mate, but
haven't found any at the local auto parts store. I can always tell when they
say "I've never needed that on MY cars before" that I'm not going to find it
there.

Later,
Don Clark
Seattle, WA