Rear Oil Seal Question

To: "Triumph Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Oil Seal Question
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 01:05:23 -0700
I have completely disassembled my engine today and will be off to the
machine shop with the block and crank tomorrow!

I have a question about the rear oil seal:

When I pulled the rear main cap (with a tool of my own design, no less!), I
found the aluminum rear oil seal contained a rubber seal of some sort in the
seal groove. I can find no reference to any rubber seal - the color is
grayish white that should be laid into the groove. This is a stock seal with
S11 stamped in it.

Any ideas on this upgrade (?). Also any insight you can provide on using the
'seal mandrel' to properly install the new seal would be appreciated as
well!

Please 'reply to all' as I am in Digest mode!

BTW, if you are in need of one, Costco is carrying a very nice engine hoist
with a lift capacity of 4000 lbs. for 199.00, about $40 less than Harbor
Freight and others. I have never removed an engine from a car in my life
until today and this lift worked great! It folds up for storage as well.
NFI, of course...

Thanks,

Brad
65 TR4A