Insulation material/Carpets

To: "'TRs Roadster list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Insulation material/Carpets
From: Christopher Ball <cball@oct.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:43:11 -0400
I insulated the floor and firewall of my Healy (notorious heat generators)
with sheets of  the closed cell foam with metal backing  that is used to
wrap furnace ducting. It stays in place, you can cut it to fit access panels
and done right it will not absorb water.  Cooler and quieter in the car with
top up driving. Then I put the usual jute matting and carpet in place.

You can (see my hands) cut yourself quite badly while trimming this stuff
and not even feel it in the winter, until tools start slipping in your hand.
What the...?! It's the metal backing - duh .

By the way, I found a remnant of  a deep green carpet in a shop. It was
dense and short pile and matched the car. I bought it,  (cheap!)  trimmed it
to fit and then took it back to the shop. He edged it all with green edging
and even made up a set of floor mats with edging as well. It looks great. I
get asked about it all the time.
Christopher Ball
Manager -  Library Services
Ontario College of Teachers