RE: Mk1 Spit Crash Pad Survey

To: "'Joe Curry'" <spitlist@gte.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Mk1 Spit Crash Pad Survey
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:31:33 +0200
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Joe

None of my Mk 1's or 2's have a crash / dash pad , but I've been searching
for it and researching it for a few years and AFAIK and IMHO all Mk 1's and
Mk 2's should have the protruding centre section over the instrument panel .

Unfortunately correct / original crash pads are no longer available ( or
maybe suppliers just don't want to send it to the " Dark " continent ) and
second hand ones are usually scarce , damaged and / or extremely expensive .
But I'll take a cracked one if not extremely expensive :-)

I think John Thomason mentions the specific reasons for the protruding
centre section in his Spitfire & GT 6 guide to originality . Something to do
with glare and reflections .

I could be wrong though .

Kind regards .
Chris de Wet .
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .
'56 TR 3 ( TS 10795 ) + '64 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 ( FC 25680 ) .

Projects : '62 Herald 1200 Coupe , '65 Herald 12/50 ( convertible ) ,
'63 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 , '66 Spitfire 4 Mk 2 .