Re: splines

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: splines
From: "Hill, Stephen M EDUC:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 10:15:52 -0700
I am responding to the archives, so sorry for the delayed response:

I have to agree with Randall. The tapers on these wheels are used to center
the wheels on the hubs.  Tapers can be used to hold an enormous amount of
force. The shop advice on getting the TR6 half shafts in one example of
this, another example is propeller shafts on boats. The angle of the taper
is critical. A long gentle taper (down boys) has enormous holding power. A
short steep taper like on wheels has none. I think the Machinist's Handbook
has a section on the holding power of various tapers.

Stephen

All I can say is that I'm sure glad you didn't engineer MY car (and that
you're simply wrong).

Randall

russell furzer wrote:

> I think that you guys are missing the point with these splines. The
SPLINES