Re: Belt size or part # (update)

To: "INTERNET:jmlozano@ismi.net" <jmlozano@ismi.net>
Subject: Re: Belt size or part # (update)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 18:35:30 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:jmlozano@ismi.net
>I managed to go in the garage on Sunday while "the boss" went to church.
I am
not allowed to do anything for the next five days, found out on Friday
afternoon I have a pretty good case of Pneumonia...Ok, enough me.
I removed and replace the alternator, had to go to Home Depot (stealth and
fast) to buy a longer bolt for the holding bracket (5/16 x 5.5 inches).
While trying to reattached the belt I got kind of excited thinking it was
going
to be a straight up match, but the fan behind the pulley (Bosch) is larger
than
the Lucas one, so it would hit the top holding bracket.  I tried to remove
the
belt so I could go buy a longer one, but as I was studying my plan of
attack
the dogs started barking. "The boss" was coming back so I flew in the house
and
started moaning and coughing.
New question what is the trick to removing the belt.
<

Welcome to the wonderful world of fan belt removal.  Actually, removing it
is easy - cut it.  But then you are left with the task of installing the
new one.  Here's what you will have to do:
1) Loosen all the bolts holding the cross brace and remove the three from
one side allowing it to be swung away from the front pulley.
2) do the same for the steering rack
3) loosen the engine mount bolts as yo may have to lift the engine a bit,
too.
4) snake the belt past the steering rack and cross brace along the fan
extension and then around the fan blades
5) istallation is the reverse of the above.

If that seems like a lot of work try the easy way:
1) remove engine...

Good luck

Dave