SLOW DOWN!

To: John Warren Moore <jmoore18@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: SLOW DOWN!
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:50:56 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by John Warren Moore
>I have a '58 TR3A, stock motor, SU carbs. I cant get the idle down below
1600 to 2000 rpm!  Adjust screws completely out, timing good.  Any
advice or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.. THANKS!
<

John,

Grasp you throttle shafts and wiggle them.  If they wiggle you have worn
shaft bushings which is causing the high idle problem.  I currently have
this problem with my 57 TR3.  My 63 TR4 had this poblem.  In fact every SU
equipped car I've owned has had this problem.  Both of them.

You can get over sized shafts but boring out the carb body is best left to
a professional machinist.  Jim Taylor - (918) 333 3444 - can rebuild you
carbs for you. (NFI)  And there are other professional carb rebuilders out
there.

Good luck

Dave