Techno Classica - Essen, Germay

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Techno Classica - Essen, Germay
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 20:55:17 +0100
Friends,
If anyone ever has the opportunity in the years to come to visit the
Techno Classica Exhibition in Germany, TAKE IT!

I've wanted to go there for some time but could never afford it /
justify the cost / find the time. This last week, I've been there
working at it and while it was hard graft (as are most stand duties)
it was worth the drive and the early starts / late finishes. For the
uninformed, Techno Classica is claimed to be the largest exhibition
dedicated to collector cars in Europe - and it was certainly that!
Sadly, not too many Triumphs - and those that were there were imported
from the US  and had had much love and care given to them by their
current owners. Some TR6's and for me the first appearance (?) of the
now fully restored 1961 Le Mans Sabrina (928 HP) on the TR Deutschland
stand. I just wanted to leap in it and drive off into the sunset. The
WOW factor was infinite.

Having toured all twelve exhibition halls over the period (usually
eating a sandwich during my lunch break) I think I covered everything
there was to see - and I kept finding myself returning to a stand near
the our BMIHT location in Hall 10 just to drool over the three
Mercedes 540 K's built between 1935 and 1939. Apart from looking like
apartment blocks lying on their sides, these were outstandingly
restored examples of  what must surely be for many an absolute dream -
certainly for me. But then, the price tags of GBP1.5 million to 3.5
million were just a tad beyond my reach. Healey 3000's and E types of
all ages were as common as pig**** - but nonetheless delightful to see
and most in a condition that was far better than when new!
Jaguar Daimler Heritage who shared our stand fielded the first and
last E types made with an impressive array of other earlier Jaguar and
Swallow products, while we put up the winning 1965 Monte Carlo Mini
Cooper S, 1963-65 Le Mans Rover BRM gas turbine, the 1957 MG EX181
record breaker, 1908 Austin Grand Prix car, Range rover Darien Gap and
the Morley brothers Healey 3000. As we don't have any "competition"
Triumphs in the collection, the marque wasn't represented but I hope
to be taking two sidescreen TR's to Mulhouse in France later in the
summer for a road going exhibition at the Schlumpf Museum.
Go to Techno Classica next year - you WON'T be disappointed.

Jonmac

PS Special thanks to Jean Roulleaux for his help and BTW Jean, can you
update me on the spectacular crash on the Antwerpen ring road on
Monday lunchtime? It looked as though two road tankers carrying liquid
oxygen both had fractured tanks and were leaking badly. Our car
transporter driver told me they were still there five hours after me
with the emergency services taking a long time to get them back on
what was left of their wheels. A good thing I'd thrown out my
cigarette before arriving on the scene!!!