Re: TR2 - Engine rebuild questions

To: rblubaug@netnitco.net
Subject: Re: TR2 - Engine rebuild questions
From: "Mike Kitchener" <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:15:14 +0200
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rob ,
Just a few thoughts on your engine rebuild .

> ???Does anyone know why those round plugs are there???
> I have had the aluminum plug welded.  Does this plug go to the water jacket
> and does anyone foresee any potential problem in using a head that has had a
> weld on this plug?

The aluminium core plug  goes to the water jacket .If there was a
problem , the plug could always be changed with the head fitted .

> I noticed that the fifth head I purchased at auction was slightly different.
> I found some different numbers on it and upon checking Bill Pigott's book
> and the "chart" for TR2-3-4-4a heads I found it was a TR4A head.

Have you thought about fitting the TR4A head ? They are said to be more
efficient and stronger than all the others .

> Should I now rebuild engine block #7257E (TR2) or the TR3

Personally I would use the TR3 engine with the camshaft bearings
and 86 mm + .030" , would go well with the 4A head !
BTW it's common practice to mix metric and Imperial when talking
about cylinder bores and oversizes .

>  Can used cylinder sleeves be removed and then reinstalled
> with new figure 8 gaskets?

  Yes ....but it's not always easy .

> assured me that it was probably a real problem and that I would be well
> advised to get new bolts.  Would the listers agree on this?

Studs can stretch , also the threads can be damaged and strip
when torquing down the head .
I also think that the difference in stud length is to accomodate the
different heads .
Afraid I don't know much about stellite valves , but they are said to
be good .

Good luck
Mike Kitchener
60 TR3A TS 75178