Crank End Play Measurement Questions.

To: "Don Clark" <d@seanet.com>
Subject: Crank End Play Measurement Questions.
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:10:01 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Don Clark"
>I am wondering if this (.004") is enough play that I should be able to
feel
a 'clunk' or not. I don't feel a clunk like I did when the old thrust
washers were in place. Perhaps I am prying too hard on the pulley to get
this measurement? The crank bounces back a few thousandths when I release
the pressure on the pulley. Of course I am measuring the end float once I
have removed the prybar from between the cross tube and the pulley.

One other thing: The thrust washers that I pulled out were each .004"
thinner (total .008") than the ones that I installed. My endfloat before
installation was .013". Since .013 - .008 = .006 where is the other .002"
going? Could this difference be caused by the assembly lube that I used
when
I installed the thrust washers?

<

When I did mine I had .003" and I have had no problems at all after some
7,000 miles.  As far a clunk goes, I don't think you'll feel a clunk until
they bed in.  I had the same discrepency (lost space) and this is just
speculation but I think the thrust surface on the crank is not perfectly
parallel with the machined surface against which the washers fit and there
is a .002 gap on the closed up side at some point.  I'll bet that after you
drive it a 1,000 miles (or even a hundred) you'll find that lost .002
inches.

Dave