TR6 - water in boot/trunk

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - water in boot/trunk
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:42:58 -0400
     I'm preparing to paint my '72 TR6.  Since it's a full color change,
     but not body-off, I'll be spraying inside the boot, under the
     bonnet and the door jambs.

     Over the past few years, every time I remove the spare tire, I have
     noticed about an ounce or 2 of water sloshing around underneath it.
     I had previously patched several 1/8" pinholes with epoxy, and
     dried the area, but a few months (weeks?) later, the water's back.
     The drain hole doesn't look like it's in the right location to do
     any good.

     1. Am I correct in assuming the fix for this is to replace the
     rubber seal around the lid?

     2. Trivia question: This might apply to just the '72, but does
     anyone know why the fuel tank vent pipe (black plastic) runs all
     the way around inside the boot?

     3. Has anyone modified this to run straight from the vent to the
     hole just under the tank?

     Thanks,
     Rick Olson