TR6 - water in boot/trunk

To: Richard R Olson <Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov>
Subject: TR6 - water in boot/trunk
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:57:43 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Richard R Olson
>     Over the past few years, every time I remove the spare tire, I have
     noticed about an ounce or 2 of water sloshing around underneath it.
     I had previously patched several 1/8" pinholes with epoxy, and
     dried the area, but a few months (weeks?) later, the water's back.
     The drain hole doesn't look like it's in the right location to do
     any good.

     1. Am I correct in assuming the fix for this is to replace the
     rubber seal around the lid?

     2. Trivia question: This might apply to just the '72, but does
     anyone know why the fuel tank vent pipe (black plastic) runs all
     the way around inside the boot?

     3. Has anyone modified this to run straight from the vent to the
     hole just under the tank?
<

Rick,

1) More likely the tail lamp assembly gaskets.  I didn't solve my water in
the boot problem until I sealed them with window caulk.

2) That's all part of the fuel liquid/vapor separation system to keep
liquid fuel from reaching the charcoal canister.

3) no

Dave

P.S. the 71 model year also has the tube that runs all the way around the
boot.