wire wheel problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: wire wheel problem
From: "Bob Rochlin" <rochlin@massed.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 22:00:47 -0400
Hay list,
    Today as I came home I heard a slapping sound coming from the right rear
tire, mostly on deceleration.  When I got home I jacked up the car and sure
enough the wire wheels were loose from the splines, the right rear the
loosest. The knock offs were tight but the wheels were loose on the splines.
I took the wheel off, in fact I took all four off and reinstalled them and
they seemed tight.  Took the car for a ride, same problem,  the wheels were
again loose on there splines.  I can't imagine that I'm not tightening them
enough, I'm using a two pound hammer and a piece of oak.
Anybody have any thoughts? How hard should you bang on the ears?  The wires
are only about three weeks old.
Bob Rochlin
72' TR6