Re: Front Wheel Bearing End Float

To: <Petearales@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front Wheel Bearing End Float
From: "Edward Woods" <fogbro1@home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 08:47:31 -0400
All,

"I tightened the nut until the wheel would not turn; then I
loosened and retightened the nut several times to compress the seal; ....."

In my experience the end float of the TR front bearing should never involve
the front seal. In other words, the position of the nut/pin should be the
same with or without the felt seal in place. I can't imagine that the entire
hub, rotor, and wheel assembly were meant to be constantly working against a
piece of felt.

If the bearing float has to be adjusted as the seal compresses, it was
assembled incorrectly in the first place.

The felt seal should easily fit over the shoulder of the stub axle without
interfering with the set up of the bearing end float. It doesn't matter
whether you put the seal on the stub axle or in the recessed washer first,
the result should be the same.

Some of the replacement seals I've seen over the years are too thick. In
those cases, it's better to use the old seal, after cleaning it to remove
the old, dried grease to get it back into shape.

Ed Woods