Old Wierd, month one

Subject: Old Wierd, month one
From: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@mcleodusa.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:14:21 -0500
Well, the grand experiment continues.

I purchased Old Weird, the Herald thirty three days ago and so far have put
2,700 miles on it.  It has moved every day, save three, two of which were
because I did not go anywhere and one was when it didn't want to go at
exactly the same time I did :)  That day turned out being a blocked fuel
line, and about 5 minutes and a little compressed air fixed the problem, it
was just that I had to leave early and could not wait to fix that small
problem first.  I don't think that's to bad for a 41 year old car.  So far,
I've spent one evening cleaning up electrical connections and getting all
the lights working, one evening chasing down a wiring goof and installing a
power outlet (All the confidence in the world can't take the place of a cell
phone) one Saturday changing all the fluids and running it through the car
wash and one Saturday swapping a fuel pump and generally looking things
over.  That represents more time than I would have spent with a modern, but
hey, this is also a hobby as well. :)

I have been averaging MPG in the mid thirties with a pint of oil each 750
miles.  The oil consumption went up a bit when I changed to a multiple
weight synthetic so we may end up back with dead dinosaurs yet, but I wanted
to try to clean things up as much as possible one time.

My theory here is that with proper care and attention there is no good
reason those cars can't go forever.  Old Weird has 87,300 miles on her now
and it still purrs like a kitten.  Why not drive something that you enjoy
and beat the depreciation demons at the same time.  With the recent spike in
gas prices ($.15 a gal. here last week) it has been an added treat to see
MPG figures on the order of double the other (now relegated) daily driver.
The smiles and the thumbs up are just the gravy.

Wish me luck :)

Ken Gano

1958 TR10 (sons project)
1959 TR3A (in family since new, presently the garage queen)
1961 Herald (daily driver, 750 miles per week and counting)