Age shall not weary ...

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Age shall not weary ...
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:16:06 +0100
I was in my local town yesterday afternoon and while walking back to
my car,
spied what appeared to be (from a distance) a remarkably
well-maintained Herald 1200 on an 'F' plate. UK listers will be able
to easily date this. On closer inspection, the speedo revealed 82000
miles and I think this was still on the first lap of the odometer.
Overall, the car looked very presentable and undoubtedly an example of
the breed that had been more than well cared for. There was some very
nominal tattiness on the sills, the driver's seat cushion  was a bit
saggy but in all other respects it looked very eyecatching in Wedgwood
Blue.
I spent rather too long examining it and was presently
interrupted by a voice asking whether I had lost something?
A very elderly man with an equally ancient wife wearing, both wearing
clothes of an era
now long past, looked at me in puzzlement and it didn't take long to
realise it was their car.
Conversation ensued and I learned he had bought it new when he took
early retirement, the objective being that it would be "the last car."
That was when he was 61 and he proudly announced he's now 95!
The car has never been used in winter, taking them only for trips
into the country on high days and holidays. This was to be the last of
all their trips together as his doctor has refused to sign him up for
a further one year extension on his driving licence. I suppose that's
understandable - and Mrs doesn't look far behind on the age stakes.
"We're going to miss using our little Herald. It's served us well
throughout our retirement, doesn't owe us a penny and our
great-grandaughter is going to have it soon as her first car"
With that they got in, the engine started and screaming itself into
oblivion as unsynchronised first engaged with the customary 'clang',
they slowly moved off into the traffic, no doubt rapidly heating the
clutch in the process.
Something tells me the Herald won't last as long in the hands of great
grandaughter as it has in those of the current owners - but it was
nice to see a genuine, original one owner 1200 still going strong
towards what must surely be the end of its own life.
If they'd accepted my offer of giving it a good home, it would
certainly last rather longer than I think is its likely due.

Jonmac