Wheel questions-

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheel questions-
From: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:21:18 -0400
On the various wheel threads-

Preamble-
A question- the PO of my TR4 gave me a 2nd set of dunlop wire wheels.  Upon
polishing them with the intent to sell them for so much money that I would
be able to pay for my triumph hobby for hte next decade, including gas and
insurance, I discovered that 2 of the 5 have broken spokes.  SO much for my
dreams of easy riches via triumph wheeler-dealing.  This made me realize
that perhaps a similiar portion of hte wheels on my triumph right now have
hte same problem (car is in shop, cannot check).

The Question-
Where can one get wheels refurbished?  I know if the splines are shot its no
good (I will go home and check having read the various VTR posts) but
presuming they are OK, where do you send them (in hte Northeast if
possible)?

A story-
My jeep went into shop to get wheels balanced.  Was driving home and felt
curious wiggly sensation followed by a a wumpa wumpa up and down motion
centered around left rear wheel.  As time passed (2 miles) wumpa motion
became larger, until I was being gently thrown from my seat about once per
second.  I of course figured it would go away, and continued.  As I pulled
into red light, wumpa became extreme.  I heard three distinct rifleshot
noises, followed by tinkling noises in the gutter.  I looked into the gutter
as I decelerated to 5mph, and said to myself "now dont those look like
lugnuts?  Pity the poor fool who lost his lugnuts!".  With that,the left
rear wheel came off.  Car lurched to a halt dragging its left rear brake
drum throught eh pavement, made abig gouge.  Wheel rolled through two
intersections, got a lot of funny looks.  Needless to say, the shop (jeep
dealer) got a thorough talking to and repaired everything for free.

Watch out, and check after anyone touches your wheels!

Noah

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information
intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution,
copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited.
If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
by reply e-mail and then destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions,
business of Bain & Company shall be understood to be neither given
nor endorsed by the Company.  When addressed to Bain clients, any
information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms and conditions
in the governing client contract.