TR6 Main Bearing Cap Bolts?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Main Bearing Cap Bolts?
From: Don Clark <d@seanet.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:32:51 US/Pacific
Hello everyone,

I recently decided to replace the main and connecting rod bearings along with a
lot of other stuff in my 72 TR6. I have new conrod bolts but can't seem to find
new main cap bolts.

The reason that I looking for the bolts is that one of the main bearing cap
bolts felt like it was starting to 'yield' as I took it up to 60 lbs. of torque
last night. I am unsure whether the bolt actually yielded or not. I removed the
bolt and took a careful look at it. It appeared fine. I was also able to thread
the bolt completely into the block with the cap off by hand.

It seems possible to me that the bearing was seating itself and that the bolt
is actually ok. When I re-installed the bolt it felt fine, but this is one area
that I hate to take a chance with. I realize that the 'safe' thing to do is to
replace the bolts with the correct special bolts. But they appear to be
unavailable at this time (BPNW, TRF, Moss).

Does anyone have any suggestions about a suitable substitute? Are grade 8 bolts
actually OK for this application? That is apparently what Moss and TRF are
selling. Does anyone know where I can find the correct bolts?

I am open to any suggestions from the list.

Thanks,
Don Clark
Seattle, WA
72