Hybrid '70 / '74 TR6 for sale in Leesburg VA

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hybrid '70 / '74 TR6 for sale in Leesburg VA
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:50:16 -0700 (PDT)
In my recent travels, I also happened across a "1970" TR6 that is for sale at a
place called Auto Forum here in Leesburg.  This is the place that had the over
priced TR8 recently, they mostly have Jags, Mercedes, Porsches and Land Rovers.

I talked to the . . uhh . .  very nice . .but possibly mentally impaired "floor
manager" about the car.  I had to look it over because he said it was a 1970
model, yet it clearly had the later bumpers with rubber over-riders.  (They
weren't even in good condition to be honest)

As I walked closer. . . the seats were the later type with removable head
rests.   The dash and instruments were exactly the same as my 1970 car though.

Hmmmm.

I popped the hood and there is a fairly clean engine, with a cast valve cover,
a red plastic fan and the later long tube intake manifold.
Clearly a later TR-6 engine.

I looked at the body number tag which leads me to belive it is a 1970 body.
Also the rear plate has a TR-4 light screwed into the later style bumper to get
the job done.

It has a nice red paint job. . .  and when I peaked under the carpet in front
of the driver's seat. .  it was obviously a new panel with bright red paint on
it.

The guy started it up, and it sounded pretty good.
I don't think it had overdrive.

Asking price was $9995. . . . par for the course (high) at Auto Forum.

When he asked my opinion, (as I clearly knew a lot more about it than he did) I
told him about the early vs late TR-6 discrepancies.

I also told him that a few people (like myself) wouldn't mind a later engine,
or at least a later cylinder head, but that he'd probably do a lot better to
put the correct bumpers on the car.

Once again, if anyone is interested and wants more info. . . I'll be happy to
go down there, test drive the sucker, and take tons of digital pics for you.
They even have auto lift and if anyone was serious, I could get them to put it
up in the air to take a good look underneath.

Scott
http://auctions.yahoo.com/