RE: Cam bearings and engine rebuild

To: "'Chuck Arnold'" <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Subject: RE: Cam bearings and engine rebuild
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:32:17 -0400
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Chuck:

I just finished a very very long TR6 frame-up rebuild. The most important
thing I did from the bearing point of view (though not in the engine) was to
have the lay gear in the transmission bored and inserted the early caged
roller bearings in the hard shell. Then I replaced the piece of solder they
call the lay shaft with and industrial shaft. The thing is nothing but a
dowel will a small keeper chord cut in the end. In the middle and later
(mine is a 72 CC83K; someone else may have the exact CC-CF numbers of the
change) the rollers were running directly in the gear with no shell. The
metal of the gear is too pitiful to support the pressure. That stupid lay
shaft and gear are so soft that the bearings cut into them and eventually
the gear drops down and begins pouring bits of metal all over the
transmission. Overdrive and the rest are soon choked up and dead. Very
expensive lessons follow soon after. I understand that some shops put in
shell bearings on the shaft and claim greatly extended life. That is with
the original shafting. Personally, I wanted the reduced friction, so sprung
for the hard shaft to match up to the roller bearings.

cheers,

Mark