Re: Princess Auto

To: wallaces@superaje.com
Subject: Re: Princess Auto
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:10:43 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
wallaces@superaje.com wrote:

> I think this place may just operate in Canada, but just to let you know they
> are having a substantial sale until May 6th. A real gear-head store!
>
> How about a ball pien hammer, or one of those battery clamps with a switch
> built in, for $2.22 Cdn? ($1.45 US)
>
> http://www.princessauto.com

  Princess Auto is truly fantastic. It is AFAIK just a canadian
thing but they have a lot of branches in most cities across
the country.

  The best feature of PA is that they carry incredibly priced
"far east junk" similar to Harbour Freight, but they have it
instock and their warranty policy is "No sale is final until
you are satisfied".

  So you can check things out in your hands before you buy,
and evaluate it. Some far east stuff is junk, but a lot of
it is actually very usable for the occasional hobbyist.

  Example, I was there on the weekend and bought a
1/2" electric reversible impact drill, $39 CDN. (about
$25us). The next cheapest one available locally was
$69 on sale at a big-box store and was likely made
on the same assembly line.

  For the 5 times in my life I might have to drill
into concrete, do I need a $150 makita or a $250
dewalt? The $39 one is the same price as renting. ;>

  They also have awesome clearouts of sale items and
special purchases for insane prices.

  With the exchange rate the way it is right now, it
is likely economical for US shoppers to check out their
web site.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca