Gearbox, Subjectivew decission advice!

To: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Subject: Gearbox, Subjectivew decission advice!
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 09:30:09 -0400
Cc: "2000 List" <2000-register@autox.team.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Graham Stretch"
>I have a 2.5 MKII PI saloon with an A type O/D in bad health, sluggish
>engagement is the main problem the 4 speed bit is like silk! I want to
call
>on those of you who do gearboxes to help me make a subjective decision. I
>have to take the box out this coming weekend for a clutch job, and I am
>trying to decide whether to remove the A type and fit a new mainshaft and
>J type o/d that I have, or to rework the A type. I do want to add 2nd O/D
>which I know is better provided by the A but I also want the higher ratio
of
>the J, I also already have 2 other cars running J's with 2nd O/D and they
>seem to be holding up to the sort of use I give them! Also the other thing
>is I am familiar with the J type internals as I have refurbed 2 before, I
>have never been in the A further than cleaning the strainer and reseating
>the operating ball valve. They seem a lot more complex than the J from
looking at the books.

Graham, unless I'm mistaken I believe the transmission mainshafts are
different for the two overdrives.  If so changing overdrives will require
disassembly and reassembly of the gear box and since you say it is smooth
as silk I would advise against disturbing it in anyway.

>Also the other thing
>is I am familiar with the J type internals as I have refurbed 2 before, I
>have never been in the A further than cleaning the strainer and reseating
>the operating ball valve. They seem a lot more complex than the J from
>looking at the books.

The question is why is the O/D sluggish?  Could it be solenoid adjustment?
Low accumulator pressure?  Dodgy clutch facing?  Clogged hydraulic
passages?  The A-type is not that much different.  It has an accumulator
and a different valving setup but the rest should be very familiar.  The
valve is direct acting and if not adjusted right it will not work right
(and setting it by the book dioesn't mean it is set right - check the
archives) but it has the same type of pump, pistons, clutch, spall clutch
and return springs.  If it is not slipping, if it is not hanging up in O/D
it could be nothing more than the solenoid not opening up the valve enough
and a simple adjustment may cure the problem.

On the whole I would say work with the A-type in this case.

Cheers

Dave