TR3 seat springs again - long

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 seat springs again - long
From: "David Smith" <smithde4@home.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:33:49 -0700
I started some discussion about seat springs a while back and have now
completed the project so I thought someone might be interested in my
experience.
After a search for used springs failed (the only ones I located were too
costly for me) I ultimately purchased a set from Moss. The quality was, in my
opinion, excellent. Although the new springs have far fewer coils, the new
coils are made of stouter material and the seats feel just as comfortable. The
springs total height is two inches lower than my originals contrary to
previous reports so apparently they have corrected that problem. Now for the
down side. I bought new springs because my old ones were in poor condition and
because when I attempted to fit my old springs to new TRF seat covers they
were not as wide or shaped as round in plan view as the covers. I decided,
based on pictures and descriptions, that the springs I had were for a TR-2.
When I received the new springs, I discovered that they are the same shape in
plan view as my old ones and , like my old ones, when the cover was installed
there were serious wrinkles along the sides of the cover. Now I am unsure
whether the springs are TR-2 shaped, as I believe or the covers are just a
poor fit to correct springs, which I don't believe. Rather than fight with
either vendor when I am not sure which one is at fault, I  welded some 3/16
rod to extend the sides of the spring frame and installed the covers. They now
fit perfectly, from my perspective. I would suggest that if you buy these
springs, be prepared for a bit of welding or put yourself in a better
bargaining position by buying the springs and the covers from the same
vendor.

Dave Smith