Gearbox, Subjective decission advice! A decision and more questions!

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "2000 List" <2000-register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox, Subjective decission advice! A decision and more questions!
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:34:43 +0100
Cc: "Cindy and Terry @ESP" <esp@hypermax.net.au>
Hi Folks
Thanks to all who replied to my question, I have decided (been convinced) to
sort my A type O/D, this has been more for objective reasons than
subjective! I just hope that Blue Hylomar will come out of the oil ways with
the help of high pressure air, some of you may remember the message I sent
about the "expert" who rebuilt this box with so much Blue Hylomar that I was
able to turn out the filter like a sand castle, it was about 3/4 full!
Terry, you said not to mix and match the gearbox tops but I was hoping to
use one with the holes for the switch on the top / side for the O/D like the
J type rather than stuck out the back on a bracket A type, is there a reason
for that, will they clear the body, will it be ok to do this if I change the
springs to use the originals for the box? Should I change the selector forks
to retain the originals or use the best ones? I thought the steel bushes /
gears were listed in the service note as a direct replacement for the bronze
bushes / gears?
Thanks again, sorry about all the new questions.

Graham.