Bucket of Worms?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bucket of Worms?
From: BJLepley@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:03:53 EDT
Just purchased a 1971 TR6 last weekend, after a long absence with Triumph.

There are a few problems that she has currently.  I hope someone out there can
give me some advice.

1.  To start the car, the PO used Ether to get it started.  It will not start
without it, even with the choke fully extended.  I have put carb cleaner in the
gas tank and have sprayed the carbs with carb cleaner inside and out.  There
doesn't seem to be any vacuum leaks or problems there.  Dampers are also full
of oil.

2.  May be associated with the above problem.  It diesels when turned off.
Which makes me think that the timing or dwell is off.  Spark plugs are clean as
can be.

3.  In the rear somewhere there is a slight noise.  The best way to describe it
is to relate it to the cartoon The Jetsons. Their cars have a whoop whoop whoop
sound. I don't think it is a wheel bearing, but who knows.

I appreciate any help someone might have.

Regards,
Bryan Lepley
1971 TR6
Kalamazoo, MI