Bucket of Worms?

To: "INTERNET:BJLepley@aol.com" <BJLepley@aol.com>
Subject: Bucket of Worms?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 18:26:28 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:BJLepley@aol.com
>There are a few problems that she has currently.  I hope someone out there
can >give me some advice.

>1.  To start the car, the PO used Ether to get it started.  It will not
start without it, >even with the choke fully extended.  I have put carb
cleaner in the gas tank and >have sprayed the carbs with carb cleaner
inside and out.  There doesn't seem to >be any vacuum leaks or problems
there.  Dampers are also full of oil.

First check the linkage and ensure that the cold starting devices are being
operated when the choke is pulled out.  If they are then there is s good
chance that they are gummed up or otherwise clogged.  They are held in
place with two screws and you can easily remove them with the carburettor
in place.  If they look ok then there may be a clog elsewhere in the system
and a carb rebuild may be called for.

>2.  May be associated with the above problem.  It diesels when turned off.
 Which >makes me think that the timing or dwell is off.  Spark plugs are
clean as can be.

Check the timing and dwell with a light and meter.  Do not presume anything
about timing and dwell based on how it runs.  Timing lights and dwell
meters are cheap enough and there should be some available from local club
members that you can use for free.  However, occasional diesling is normal
on the early, high compression cars.  My 71 diesels occasionally even with
the anti-run-on system I added.  How dies it run otherwise?

Congratulations on your acquisition.  The two happiest days in the life of
a British car owner are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.  (With
appolgies to boat owners everywhere)

Just kidding

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA