Learned my lesson...TR accelerator shaft disassembly

To: "Triumph Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Learned my lesson...TR accelerator shaft disassembly
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:00:07 -0700
OK...alright...I will listen next time.

We had a string going a while back regarding the disassembly of the TR
accelerator shaft. Someone said that you would have to be nuts to attempt
it...Well, he was right!!!

I was smart enough to attempt this while the engine is out for a rebuild,
but...

The shaft is one piece all the way from the welded on pedal to the opposite
side of the firewall. The Moss illustration is inaccurate and the factory
illustrations are unclear. All of the press fit parts must be unpressed
before the shaft can be removed from the car.

The pedal side shaft bush must be cut away to get all the parts off to
thread the shaft out through the firewall. The sleeve that holds the bush on
the pedal side must be pressed off all the way down the straight end of the
shaft. Except mine wasn't straight! And I don't have a hydraulic press.
Almost destroyed the NLS sleeve getting it off my bent up shaft.

Anyone have spares???

I don't think Triumph ever planned to have anyone service the assembly...and
those shaft bushes were so cheap. Looked like a simple project...NOT!

Just a little warning!

Brad
65 TR4A IRS (with bent, beat up accelerator shaft)