RE: Bad Battery?

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bad Battery?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 17:36:05 -0700
Kai :

There's something wrong with this picture.  The battery voltage while being
charged should rise to around 13.5 to 15.0 volts.

My guess is that either your voltmeter is reading pretty badly low, or your
battery has a shorted cell and your charger is lying to you.

See if you can access a vehicle with no apparent battery problems.  Turn on
the headlights for about 10 seconds (to remove any surface charge), then
turn them off and check the battery voltage.  It should read very close to
12.6 volts (a little lower if it's cold out).

If your voltmeter checks out, then I think your battery has a shorted cell.

The other possibility is that the car's charging system just isn't making
it, either a bad alternator, bad connection (or ground) somewhere between
the alternator and the battery, or you've added more high power accessories
than the alternator can keep up with.  But, that wouldn't explain the low
voltage reading while on the charger ...

Randall