Re: Bad Battery?

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bad Battery?
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:54:09 -0600
I think you still have something drawing current, perhaps an interior lamp,
run-on valve, alternator, or something else on the line that is always hot
regardless of whether ignition switch is on or off.  Have you tried putting
an ammeter in series with one of the battery terminals?  If you find a
current draw, then its most likely the circuit thats always powered.  Try
removing each fuse one at a time to see if the current draw changes.  If not
then perhaps one of the unfused circuits such as the alternator or starter
(unlikely) is the culprit.

>The battery is less than 18 months old to begin with, but it fails to keep
>charge for more than 24 hours when I have it in the car.  There are no open
>circuits to drain it while the car is off (with the car off there is no
>current being transferred at either the battery terminals or at each of the
>three fuses).  The car took a while to start up today, haven't run it in
>quite a while had to get gas to the carbs and such, but it drained the
>battery from 12.35V to 11.40 and now we're back into the 11.60 range with
>the car running.  What gives?

>Note also:  the battery is sufficiently discharged enough that after 3
hours
>it is VERY difficult to turn the motor over on the starter.  The TR6 nearly
>stranded me the Friday I was helping Andy Mace unearth his new Herald, that
>was from about 12:30pm to 3:30ish pm on a nice warm day.

John Lumia
76 TR-6